View Single Post
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Managing the higher intake temps from boost and higher ambient temps at the track is the big goal. Like you, I can feel I'm down on power when it's hot out.

My thoughts are that I'm not going to advance my timing, the system is used only under boost, is triggered by a switch at the pedal when floored (would a short delay help help here and how would it be done?), and for the track only.

Chris, you say methanol is not compatible with alumnum. What does it do? I'm not sure where I could place an injector, but on the IC somewhere on the outlet side.

Quote:
Chris - Beautiful engine and conversion! I'm impressed you stuffed a 930 engine into a 356, plus the injection system.

Jim -

As I understand it, another benefit of the water/meth injection is repeatability or consistency in power, despite temps. Meaning, less HP loss if it's 95 degrees. It can increase HP a tad, but the biggest gain is that you don't lose much. I'm interested as well in doing a similar setup.

As he's local, I spoke with Mark DaVia. He and Drew Wikstrom won Tire Rack's "One Lap of America" thing for the past 5 years straight. I think Mark installed a system from http://www.aquamist.co.uk/ and says now he loses 7 HP due to heat, versus 70 before the install. Not too shabby. I can feel the loss in power from sitting (heat soak) or after a few laps in hot weather. It's just not the same as when cold. My goal woudl be to have the same power regardless of conditions.

These systems seem economical, and increase the density and cool the intake charge. I really don't understand why more shops don't offer them.

The snow system looks good/similar. I know the aquamist system has a warning if the water/meth is low, and can limit boost/ignition. Nice safety device. And the water/meth only flows under boost, so it's not like it's always spraying.

We'll need to re-tune for boosted conditions after adding injection.

Cheers -

Last edited by A930Rocket; 12-02-2008 at 01:41 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)