View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Mount for 2 AFR gauge

I’ve looked at a number of mounting locations for extra gauges and its quite obvious that there are a variety of locations and methods that each have their pros and cons.
I didn’t want to use the ash-tray location because I have already fitted an extra aircon vent there. I also didn’t want anything above the dash.

What I have ended up with is something that works for me that I haven’t seen elsewhere and may be of interest to others.

I guess photos are easier than trying to explain it all …

The gauge housing I used is a plain 50mm PVC pipe coupling (60mm OD x 62mm long) which is readily available in most hardware stores in Oz for a dollar or so, but I am sure there will be a close equivalent in the US.

I used a blob of body filer covered in plastic film pushed up against the underside of my dash panel to mould the mounting pad. Put some filler on the inside as well just to give a flat surface for mounting bolt. It wouldn’t hurt to actually mould the bolt head in place to make fitting easier.
Black vinyl similar to the standard dash (an offcut from local motor trimmer) was contact glued to housing and folded in each end.

Gauge mounting bracket will fit against the ridge inside the housing (or use an O-ring between gauge and housing for a push fit).

The only hole I drilled in the car was 6mm for the mounting bolt. If I remove the gauge later, I will fit a black rubber body plug which won’t be too conspicuous in this location. I decided to run the wires from the gauge through the clock hole to avoid drilling a second hole under the dash.

Aesthetically, this is obviously an add-on and probably not to everyone’s taste, but I can live with it from where I sit.
One big disadvantage … my view of the heater controls is obstructed!

I hope some of you can make use of this.
Bill
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911

Last edited by billjam; 12-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: hit the wrong button!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)