View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Bill, is there a chance you accidentally fry the Permatune during removal (like if the battery was still connected)?

On a side note, how did the K27 fit up with the hole in the engine tin for the I/C hose when you put everything back together?
No, battery has been out of car right from the start, so I doubt that anything got fried. I am fairly sure its just a connection problem as Mike says. Its just a pain that everything is so hard to get at once its back in the car - I have been spoilt working on this engine for so long with 360 degrees access to everything!

Here I go hijacking my own thread ...
As far as K27 is concerned, the compressor outlet and oil pipes lined up in same position as 3LDZ. The only problem area is the exhaust side which is fatter - see pic.

I had to modify the turbo mount bracket and there are different ways of doing this. A common (and factory) way of doing it is to take a wedge of material out cut the bracket just to the right of the four holes and reweld. This retains the use of the top mounting point.
I wanted to be able to refit the 3LDZ if necessary so I opted to move the bottom mounting holes 20mm and not use the top hole.
I also had to shorten the exhaust pipe between turbo and muffler because I didn't have enough space for the muffler to move 20mm to the right.

Another area that needs attention is the compressor outlet pipe (up to IC).
I cut the top IC fitting off the original pipe and machined it to accept a 2.5" hose then used a 2" x 2.5" silicon hose reducer to connect from the turbo outlet to this fitting. (Actually, I am still playing with this connection and may go with a metal 2" x 2.5" reducer and two short hoses to connect the parts.)

Must get back to my car. I really want to go driving today
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)