Thread: tranny help
View Single Post

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
tranny help

Let me give you a quick rundown on what I've done to my tranny and maybe someone can give me some direction on where to look..

History.. a month or two ago while at the track my tranny stuck in between gears.. Upon tearing it out I discovered that the reverse gear ( the one in the nose of the tranny between the two main shats) had popped the retaining clip and torn out part of the sleeve.. So I replaced that sleeve and clip. I also took off the center section of the case to check that all was well ( it was). I returned the top nuts that hold the two main shafts to the original positions and secured the nuts.
Upon putting the engine back in there is a distinct noise when the clutch is released it does not make a difference what gear Nuetral too!!!..
SO I pulled the engine again thinking it was a problem in re-assemble,, but no luck and when I turn the tranny everything sounds smooth, and it shifts well..

Since the noise goes away when I depress the clutch , could it be the throw out bearing needing lube or going bad ? I'm at a loss here..

Any ideas ?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)