View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Here's what Paul Frere that authored Porsche 911 Story had to say about the '94 3.6 Turbo;
"The Turbo 3.3 remained in production for only two years. Meanwhile development work continued to make the turbo engine benefit from at least some of the advances made in the M64 engine, and at the beginning of 1993 the Turbo 3.6 was announced. It used, with minor modifications, the crankcase, cylinders, cylinder heads (with provision for secondary air injection and slightly thinner fins to improve the air circulation), crankshaft and connecting rods of the M64/01 engine. The pistons were new, giving a compression ratio of 7.5:1, the crankshaft torsional vibration damper was heavier, and the full flow oil filter of the 3.3 engine was adapted to the crankcase. The capacity of the air flow meter and of the injectors was raised and the maximum boost pressure was increased from .82 to 0.92 bar by using a stronger spring in the wastegate. The increased capacity, the higher boost pressure and new camshafts similar to those used in the limited series 3.3 Turbo S, gave the following timings (measured with 1 mm valve clearance):

Intake opens/closes: 2* before tdc/54* after bdc
Exhaust opens/closes: 43* before bdc/3* after bdc

Those factors were the major contributions to the power increase, which was raised from 320 to 360 PS, obtained at 5,500 rpm, with even more remarkable torque increase from 450 to 520 Nm (53 mkg or 383 lb/ft) at 4200 rpm. Without any electronic boost control, still with K-Jetronic and 7.5:1 compression ratio, the engine still lagged behind the contemporary state of the art. There is no doubt, however, that performance was (and still is at the time of writing) very impressive, as the following figures from an Auto, Motor & Sport road test indicate:

Max Speed 289 kph (179.6mph)
0-100 kph 4.6 secs
0-160 kph 9.5 secs
0-200 kph 15.0 secs
0-1000 m 22.5 secs

Impressive as these figures are, the Turbo 3.6 was still obviously a 'stop gap' model. The KE Jetronic fuel injection system was obsolete and the Porsche stood almost alone among turbocharged cars without electronically controlled boost pressure. It was quite clear that the development of a new 993 series-based Turbo model being well under way, the company's management was anxious to limit the investments related to a low volume model which had a limited life expectation."
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P

Last edited by WERK I; 12-08-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)