View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Not quite true....

Depends ;-)

Pagid Orange can pad transfer, the pads are relatively small - the entire concept of braking is THERMAL CAPACITY. THis is bought about by increased mass - but the big question is what is appropriate for your mission / goal?

Overkill is a waste, but inadequate brakes for the mission is lethal.
I agree to the point. But mass itself won't help dissipate heat quicker. Solid non-vented rotors with bad ventilation will have greater mass and greater thermal capacity but will dissipate heat slower than vented ventilated discs with lower mass, thus fading sooner.

If 930 brakes have ability to dissipate heat in harsh conditions (full tilit on 'ol ring) before it reaches dangerous levels (=fading) then I see no reason to opt for heavier ones which will increase the unsprung mass?

What I'm trying to says is that brakes should be lightest items available that still allow problem-free application in worst conditions. And I'm more fond of forced cooling than bigger pizzas behind the wheels.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)