View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
I am debating changing out my 930 ssi set up for 993 HE. differences are the following.

ssi Longer runs but small primaries(quality far superior )
ssi nice packaging

993HE short run large primaries (unequal length)
very inexpensive

Now keep in mind cost is not a factor as I own both setups but interested in thoughts. Also remember I will be using dual wastegates and a volute setup(twin scroll) either way.

we I see gains either way? please justify your response Thanks for your thoughts . Either way I will produce a Y for the 993 HE for regular consumption
Personally, I would go the SSI route for the following reasons;
1.) Like you said the primaries on the 993 HE's are bigger, so you will see a increase in spool-up time due to the loss in exhaust gas velocity. Not really an issue for a track car, but for the street...noticeable.
2.) I don't know how long the 993 HE's will remain "cheap".......
3.) The SSI's are known to produce good power and are very reliable. A friend of mine runs that setup on his track car and hasn't had any problems over three years.
4.) The 993 HE's operating under high turbo temps is an unknown factor. What's their longevity?

On the other side of the coin.....I do think a nice polished set of 993 HE's look better than the SSI's.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-13-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)