View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro911sc View Post

$800 is what I could have paid for this to be done for me.

I'll be using epoxy/filler at the metal/FG area as I do not want any cracking and flaking.

how it will hold up with the thermal expansion between FG and metal being different. I guess we'll see

for $800 I'd figure out how to make it perfect one way or another.
Although I'm not in on the best products out there I would have looked what the shop guys use to bond glass fenders to a metal tub.

I also figure that there has to be a difference in thermal expansion. Epoxy is forever flowing glue and polyester is stiff. That's why I like Imron paint. It's epoxy and stays flexable.

I think if you have confidence in the lid to not come apart you could go on to figuring how to paint it. I just painted a C2/964 electric spoiler lid. The raised wing is surrounded with a flexable ring.

If me I'd prime using Imron paint on bare glass and primed metal. The Imron base coat would be shot with Dupont color Chromobase as thin as possible, and cleared with Imron. You could also put on the Imron base with a sponge brush and then sand it perfect.
It's only what I do.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)