View Single Post

HA! This is EXACTALLY how I got into my first car, a '73 Triumph Spitfire. Paid $300 for a running car that had many miles on it. Three months later I turned a main bearing, after two back to back engine fires.

The GOOD: I got a few other parts cars and restored a whole car from it, learned how to rebuilt, patience, and awe of what leather oil seals are all about. The Spit then gave me 9 years good service after rebuild.

The BAD: Paid $150 too much and the car was trash. Lost several girlfriends to that project (took ~17months). Was satteled with a British Sports Car for 9 years.

What the Grandparents said, "We though it'd be a learning experience for you." They're career military and BELIEVE in an education in Hard Knocks. . .

MY OPINION: Run a compression check and maybe a leak down on the engine. Even the 1.7 is expensive to recodition and you don't want to get stuck in bed with it. If the compression looks good and the valves are cool, well jump in. Otherwise BEWARE.

GOOD LUCK
Ian
Old 10-07-1999, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)