Thread: Slant Nose
View Single Post

I don't think anyone made aftermarket stamped steel slantnose fenders.. that's a pretty big undertaking for setting up the tooling etc.. and would require a huge run of fenders to justify the cost of set-up. Then of course you'd need to get all those fenders sold to recoup your tooling/production cost.

In Steel:
Golden Coachworks in Illinois was the largest supplier of steel slant inserts. The inserts allowed you to cut the tops of the fenders off and weld the louvered or non-louvered flat steel insert into the fender. They came complete with headlight bucket, relays, wiring, and Mazda motors for $1400. You or your body shop install and finish, or for $2300 you could send them your fenders and they would convert and send back to you ready to paint. They also offered the slimline slant conversion on an SC without Turbo flares.
Their parts were very good quality. I used a set of thier inserts on a 77 Turbo I had.. as a matter of fact, the car looked a lot like yours 930gt-40r. Is that Meteor Grey?

Blackburn & Daly did only steel slantnose conversions on both Turbo and SC bodied cars as well. However, they only did conversions on new cars or cars that had under 15 or 20k miles on them. In other words, no crash repairs or restorations. Just new car conversions. They did very high quality work and I believe they're parst were supplied by Golden.

Alan Johnson Racing was an Authorized Porsche dealer that was a one shop stop. They had an excellet bodyshop, and a race shop. They're slantnose conversions were done in steel using factory stamped steel fenders. The other parts offered were all factory as well. The only deviation offered in thier conversion was the choice of factory headlight motors and assembly or the use of Mazda motors. From what I understand this was offered for two reasons:
- because some owners wanted sqaure headlights as opposed to round

- it alowed for a dramatic cost drop over using the factory motor or motors, mechanisims
and other assorted hardware. It also dropped the labor cost for install considerably

* note that some factory cars had either a single headlight lifting motor mounted in the center just under the front closing panel, and others may have a motor mounted inside the tub just forward of the fuse box on the drivers side, and directly across from that on the passenger side.

Troutman did a few really nice cars in steel. Even did one that used 928 headlights back in 86

These were the only suppliers of steel slant nose conversion that I know of.. there have been several others mentioned over the years, but usually it's been found that they're conversion parts were supplied by Golden.

Fiberglass conversions:

They were popular and there were lots of them.. some better than others.

DP and Kremer both offered conversions and I think DP actually offered the conversion parts. Some of their kits could be ordered with functioning pop-up headlights in the fenders but I believe most had lights in the bumper.

I had a euro Targa slant nose that had been converted by Kremer. It was non-turbo, had no louvers in the fenders, and the headlights were sqaure, similar to the car that stated this thread. I bought the car damaged in the front. The airdam which held the lights was beyond repair, so to get it to the poad quickly we used one from AIR that required fitment of
Chevy S-10 single lights per side. It turned out nice but was definetly odd looking.

AIR was a big producer of fiberglass slant components and conversions as were..
Better Boddies
Folger
Mitcom
ZeeMax
Rinspeed
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 12-19-2008 at 05:08 AM..
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)