View Single Post

WERK-I : I forgot to mention I cleaned the intercooler out with a can of brake cleaner. I got quite a bit of oil out and the run off is now nice and clear. There is a slight oil film in other parts of the intake tract AFTER the turbo. This slight film was there prior to the 3LDZ going out though. I hear this is somewhat normal?

As for the scavenging pump, I was unable to set it up so it could pump the discharged oil from the turbo. Rather I let the discharged oil drain into one container, while I placed the scavenge line in a different one with fresh oil. It sucked that new oil up pretty quickly, which lead me to believe it was functioning as it should. Its only took a few seconds of scavenging for me to realise this (thats how good the rate of suction looked). I really should set it up to scavenge its own discharge though.

I also suspected it was buring off residual oil thats trapped inside the muffler. I am now doubting that due to the amount of smoke thats present and its consistency.

As for the extended idle question, I let it idle for the 20 minutes or so after I was experiencing the heavy smoke. I sat there and watched it waiting for it to smoke and it never did. By this time roughly 20 minutes had passed. Once I started to rev it, it smoked bad. Oil temps were up to about 160 at this time.

x98boardwell : The smoke does appear to be constant, this is what worries me. I can hold rpms at a constant 2500 and it just billows out. I wil check for the blow by by disconnecting the hose at the hardline. Car seems to run well, a leak down has not been performed.

Last edited by DailyDriven'88; 12-19-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)