Thread: Slant Nose
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Just for a base time line point, what year was the car? I would like to agree with you as I have long suspected that pre 1985 factory SNs and the fenders supplied to authorized Porsche conversion dealers were welded. It just follows that they started to stamp the rear 1/4s in 1985 as they built thousands each year of the 930. So logically thinking, why would they tool up for the SN front fenders before tooling up for rear 1/4s with a uncertain future of the numbers needed. If anything they got the idea to start the stamping process for both at a similar time. Anyone else had a SN down to bare metal? It would be nice to get the year/VIN as this info is not written in any book or literature I have read. It would help authenticate many misgivings when a incomplete ( mystery history ) car is out there.
Your reasoning stands firm, as I had reasoned the same way and later confirmed it. I don't know the exact year of the car but it was a pre 1985 car. Why would the factory tool up for a few front fenders and then weld the rest of their production cars up? Does not make a bit of sense. Someone else mentioned that it was easy to tool up for front fenders and hard to tool up for rear flares. I don't buy it. Even the later SN cars are probably welded up front. We need some more stripped fenders to put this subject to rest once and for all.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)