Thread: Slant Nose
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
If Porsche production planning is anything like most automotive manufacturers of that era, it typically took seven years to arbitrate,design, tool up and produce sheet metal changes back then. I suspect that after 1981, Porsche decided to provide these on a limited production run (a.k.a. Special Wishes) before they added them on the assembly line in 1986 (MY1987).
It would be another nail in the slantnose coffin if we could find out when the fronts were cut over from custom to production stamped units. If they were indeed custom units. According to Peter Morgan's book, the chassis number for the one-and-only 1981 Special Wishes slant produced is: 932BX000619.
Werk.. I think around 81 or so would be a reasonable time line.. although for a company like Porsche to tool-up to make a special fender stamping is not a huge undertaking.

Keep in mind, unlike the stamping of a 1/4 panel, a special fender for a Porsche does not have to be attached as part of the assembly line process as it is not part of the unibody and thus not welded to the tub.
I'm almost sure that when these cars ordered through special wishes prior to the M505 designation were pulled from the line and sent to that department for whatever options were ordered.

zcoker & voitureltd: what you're saying about the earlier fenders being welded does make a lot of sense, as it would've taken them a bit to get a handle on what kind of volume this SN thing would generate... would be nice to know what year that car was that you looked at.

I can't say that I've seen many of them down to the metal on the top side. However, I have inspected quite a few from the bottom and could tell that the welds I've seen are hardly factory. The others I've seen, mine included have no seam or weld.. they're stamped.

As far as part #s are concerned, I doubt you would find a part number stamped on a fender, door, hood, etc.. Porsche usually afixes thier parts tag, a sticker.. and that's it. I know in the early days, 356s and very early 911 cars they had part numbers on the body panels but that's long gone.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)