Thread: Slant Nose
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
Unless you strip the undercoating, you cannot know if they are stamped or not. I still say that they are all welded, all years. Just my opinion.
I've looked at a number of these cars over the years.. and I've seen seams on most conversion cars.. and frankly never really thought it to be a big deal as long as the fenders were/are correctly finished.

I've looked at a number of known factory cars, and previously owned an 87 M505 Factory Slant, during my pre-purchase check, I specifically looked at the fenders
for damange, and to ensure that the car was not a conversion. Those fenders were stamped.

My current 930 was up on stands recently as this thread began to grow.. I felt the need to rechecked and verify what I've seen/ and as stated, they are stamped factory fenders as provided by Alan Johnson Racing.

Understand you're entitled to your opinion.. but I disagree that all years are welded. Jus think that statment is too broad..

additionally, when talking undercoating, you'd have to use some really think stuff to cover a weld, and really build the area up to hide a weld. If you look at the underside of a Porsche fender, SC, Carerra, or slant nose, you'll see that the undercoating is very different from that as use on a tub. It's not as heavy and I don't believe it's rubberized. It's actually mor of a Shutz.

A machine weld or that done by hand would probably not have the same smooth finish on the underside of the fender as it does on the top side as the machine would not be set-up, nor would the welder spend the time to finish in that manner... unless of course you're paying the extra coin.

My previous 77 Turbo, which was converted to a slant was done by a friend who specializes in high end restorations and it was finished w/lead. The underside was undercoated with an eye on duplicating the factory undercoating, and you could find the seam if you looked for it.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)