Thread: Slant Nose
View Single Post

[QUOTE=onboost;4373844]I've looked at a number of these cars over the years.. and I've seen seams on most conversion cars.. and frankly never really thought it to be a big deal as long as the fenders were/are correctly finished.

I've looked at a number of known factory cars, and previously owned an 87 M505 Factory Slant, during my pre-purchase check, I specifically looked at the fenders
for damange, and to ensure that the car was not a conversion. Those fenders were stamped.

Again, let's focus on what we can see with the eye: bare metal factory fenders, not painted fenders. I could not tell with my car with the paint on the fenders either; I could have just said that they were stamped, like most do. It wasn't until I stripped the undersides down to bare metal that I observed differently. So far, I have information that leads me to believe that the early cars may be welded, and my opinion stands to reason that all SN cars may be welded because it makes no sense whatsoever for Porsche to tool up for front fenders while welding the rears, even on the later cars, making no sense to tool up for such limited runs on the SN cars. Moreover, this is Porsche's pride, to do hands-on stuff like that. We need to get in touch with someone who knows, who perhaps worked at the factory because it will be a cold day in hell to find a factory SN being stripped for re-paint.

What this all means is: people with conversions may indeed have factory fenders on their cars, even with those Mazda lights! Good news for the converted cars.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)