View Single Post
Redline Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelasal View Post
Nice photos Honda guy - I guess the real problem is that (1) I don't have a flywheel lock and (2) prices for parts or the tool are so bloody expensive here in the UK - i.e. 75 i was quoted (~$110) for a seal set - .... I don't know a source for a flywheel lock ...and then there will be additional costs of those sleeve type components which have a tendancy for a ring to form from the oil seal - well they run about 25 each over here i.e. $40. In the past i've used business trips to the US to source parts but those trips have dried up with the economic situation in detroit!

I guess that given I need to remove the crank pully to be able to remove the rear timing cover in order to change the one seal that is leaking, then I may as well replace the crank seal too. So, I need to figure out how to get the crank nut off. ... Starter Motor? Steve
I know people have successfully removed the crank bolt by putting the car in 5th gear, pulling the parking brake nice and hard (and/or having someone stand on the brake pedal), and blocking the wheels to hold the crank. The trick would be getting it torqued properly afterwards, which is 158 ft.lb.
I've also heard you can jam a screwdriver between the flywheel gear teeth and the bellhousing if you have a helper. There's also bracing a long breaker bar against the ground and clicking the starter, but I would only try that if I was desperate.

Yeah, be careful when you install the crank seal. It's a little tricky to tell if it's seated fully and squarely all the way around when installing it. If it's not, it'll leak.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)