View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Bryan,
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It is unlikely that you will bolt the FW/PP together the same way you took them off. However, if both individual parts were balanced and you bolt them together, they should remain balanced as an assembly. It is more critical when the parts are new and not previously balanced or when significant work has been done. Surface grinding is a fairly uniform process and should not affect the balance that much.

Anything that spins should have a indexing system (pin, bolt pattern, key, or flat) or be marked during disassembly for alignment at reassembly.

As far as weights of the various FW/PP combinations, this is hard to determine because there are so many possibilities throughout the years. Here are some numbers from the PEC:
1989 Carrera 4 Single Mass Flywheel - 19 lb.
'90-'94 Double Mass Flywheel - 30 lb.
'92-'93 RS, RSR Lightweight Flywheel - 12 lb.

These items I weighed myself today:
Pressure plate - 10.8 lb.
Flywheel and Pressure Plate Bolts- 1 lb.
Starter Ring Gear - 2 lb.
Clutch Disc (spring type) - 2 lb.

So, I went from 45.8 lbs of the DMFW to 27.8 lbs with the LWFW conversion. There are some lighter aftermarket/racing PP and clutch discs, but those were not for me.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)