View Single Post

Interesting post, and great story, Cole. Godspeed to you, friend.

As a long-time used Porsche guy, one of the items on my "bucket list" was to one day go to a dealer, find a car I liked, and say "I'll take that one." No PPI, no service records, just taillights down the road.

In August 2006, I checked that item off the list by buying a new Cayman S. It was perfect--lapis blue, sand beige interior, almost no other options. I drove it for a year and a half before realizing that I liked my ancient '89 944S2 just as much. The Cayman was undoubtedly the "best" car I have ever owned, but I felt no love for it. As others have said, it had no soul--more like driving the world's best video game.

At the track, the electronic nannies would kick in just as the fun started, but I was afraid to drive my brand new $60K car without them. The best comment came from my 20 y-o daughter, who is quite a hot shoe (over 50 track days so far). She brought it in after a session and said "Dad, this car has no brakes and understeers like a pig. And the power cuts off the minute I nail the gas at the apex." Spolied brat--all her track experience until then had been in my full-race prepped 2500 lb 944/968 track car.

I sold the Cayman (took the predictable beating on depreciation), and now have an '88 911 coupe. It's no 930, but I absolutely get the willies when I hear that flat six and realize that the only thing keeping me out of the fence is my own driving ability.

Terry
Old 12-25-2008, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)