View Single Post
930 Rookie

Oil gurus... thoughts on ZDP levels of this oil...

See the attached PDF. It's regarding Vavoline NSL (Not Street Legal) Synthetic Racing oil.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Specialty%20Synthetic%20Racing%20Oils.pdf

Up until now, my 930 has been a Mobil 1 20w50 car. With 63,500 miles, no engine issues, and original turbo running strong, it seems to have worked. Car is only driven about 1,000 miles a year, so I go with the yearly oil change. I am due in Feb.

To me, it appears that Vavoline has found a work around for the ZDP issue and called it "not street legal." Of course, this is fine with me -- not worried about being pulled over for inappropriate use of oil. Further, my 930 is Euro with no cat.

Main question: Has anyone had experience with Valvoline NSL Synthetic 20w50, and what are your recommendations? According to the spec sheet, it has the exact requirement of 0.12% Zn and P that LN Engineering seems to think is best (along with a host of other websites, not specifically relating to Porsche, but relating to "older air-cooled engines" -- both motorcycle and car. It's $9/quart, but at one change a year, not too concerned with cost.

And before anyone says anything, I apologize if I am "late to the game" as it were. Its possible this has been discussed ad nauseum and I have indeed searched both the List and here. However, this is the first I have really needed to research oil as I purchased my car a year ago and the shop that did some work on oil lines simply did the change with Mobil 1 (and previous records dating back years and years show Mobil 1). And my research has brought me to Vavoline NSL Syn 20w50.

Current: 1982 Platinum Metallic 930, stock (P-CarOnline.com) / www.Type930.com
Former: 1989 Glacier Silver 944 "S3", 1987 Guards Red 924 S
Also in the family: 1992 Polar Silver 968 Cab, stock
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)