View Single Post
930 Rookie

Sent this to Valvoline:

Quote:
Hello,

I have a 1982 Porsche 911 Turbo, European spec. Mobil 1 has been used in this car for many, many years, probably since Mobil 1 first hit the market. The car is all original engine, original turbo. 63,500 miles. Operates smooth and strong.

My question stems from the fact Mobil 1 has lowered the levels of Zn and P in their product. And the "Porsche approval" list for 0w30 is a joke when applied to older, air-cooled Porsches.

I have read your data sheets for VR1 and NSL Synthetic Racing 20w50 products. I would like to stick with synthetic in the car, and I appreciate the increased levels of Zn and P both of these blends offer. I drive the car about 1,000/year. I understand that the main difference in the two is the levels of calcium (please correct me if I am wrong), and that the VR1 is more of the 3k mile interval, while the NSL is 500 miles. Under normal driving conditions (NOT racing), would the NSL Synthetic blend stand up to a year or 1,000 miles? I change the oil each year, and as mentioned, it's driven about 1,000 miles. I would think the synthetic would last longer than 500 miles, however, you guys are the experts, I'm not. But I'm hoping that normal driving conditions, a racing synthetic will stand up.

If you do not recommend this, what is your recommendation? Because your SynPower synthetic blends do not have the recommended levels of ZDP for older air-cooled Porsche engines, and I would like to continue to use synthetics.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Matt
I will let you know when/if I receive a response.

Current: 1982 Platinum Metallic 930, stock (P-CarOnline.com) / www.Type930.com
Former: 1989 Glacier Silver 944 "S3", 1987 Guards Red 924 S
Also in the family: 1992 Polar Silver 968 Cab, stock
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)