View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I couldn't agree more with DDDD- how ever I do believe that the best rendition of the 930 came from the 1991-1994 965 body. Those years were the pinnicle of Porsches idea of "I'm going to make the best car with the best materials no matter what the cost." It also does away with many things that some of us can't stand like the: the bus shifter, t-bars, excessive rubber on the body, and so-on. They also brought the best trans to be mated to our motors- the G50/52. But best of all they kept the 930's soul and didnt bastardise it. I am willing to say that I would take a stock 965 over my car with all of the mods, I just love them.
The watershed moments in the 930 were basically the major updates from 1976 to 1994. I would include 76, 78, 94 and many people would include 89, but to me that was mainly having a fifth gear, not a major overhaul. It is still a significant model, as the most refined old school 930.

I don't consider a 993, 996 or 997 to be a true 930. They are all basically different, less appealing models IMO. They lose the raw edge and the looks of a 930. They gain a ton of pork and lose the direct feel with the road.

Instead of making minivans and sedans and convertibles, Porsche should be offering a Carrera GT for the masses, complete with the styling. That would sell like hotcakes and it would be a new legend in its own right. I think the Cayman looks intentionally bland and it is basically a parts bin car.

Putting the LSD on the cayman is a step in the right direction, but by now the whole sizzle of the cayman concept is gone. It just wasn't good enough in the first place and is simply using hand me downs from the 996. Who wants a Porsche that won't keep up with a subaru in a straight line? Or bad reliability? We all know by now that the Cayman is nothing but an INTENTIONALLY inferior product. It is hard to turn that image around with a few bells and whistles.

Last edited by DDDD; 12-26-2008 at 11:33 AM..
Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)