View Single Post
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Bryan

I would say you need to break in those cams first. 20 minutes at 2000-2500 rpms works. Keep an eye on oil pressure, temps, leaks etc. I've never heard anything about bringing the exhaust up to temp. If you have an exhaustcyou can swap out, you may want to try that, especially if you are going with a new turbo.

As far as the chains go, I would install new ones. I don't think it matters if there are split chains or not, the length should be the same.

Quote:
I have a few things to ask and tell... nice picture by the way. I wish you lived closer.

Story: I just had my heads rebuilt, cylinders honed with new rings, my cams reground to SC specs (use to be 964.. I didn't know, they were done in 1998), rocker arms and shafts micro-polished and replaced if out of spec, and finally exhaust ceramic coated inside and out.

My questions:

1) From what I have heard, I need to "break-in" ny cams at about 2,500 rpm's for 20 minutes. Is this true? What is the best break-in process?

2) The company who did my exhaust (many turbo applications) recommended starting the car for a few minutes and then letting the exhaust cool... then repeating this process for longer to reach a higher temp, then cooling. Finally, driving the car to where they see the hottest temperature. They cure at 600 degrees and they recommend increasing that curing temperature incrementally to increase strength and longevity.

3) If I need to do question #1, how in the hell with I be able to do #2 at the same time?

4) Lastly, my tensioner pistons looked less compressed than yours in the pictures above. I purchased the master link chains (since I'm not splitting the case) to replace the old ones. Should I even replace my chains if they appear to be ok since referencing your pictures or should I still replace since I have the motor out and apart?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Just to reference, my car is an 87-930 with 97,000 miles on the clock.

Bryan
Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)