View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Mathieu,
I have just been through this process with a K27-7200 turbo replacing the original 3LDZ turbo on my '86 930.

It isn't a direct bolt-on conversion because ...
  • the exhaust housing is at least 10mm wider than standard, (see pics) therefore your muffler will have to move to the right (this is OK if you have the space - I didn't so I had to shorten the pipe between turbo and muffler)
  • because exhaust housing is bigger, the turbo mounting bracket must be modified by cutting and welding
  • the compressor outlet pipe is different (3LDZ is a O-ring/sleeve connection but K27 is a hose and clamp connection)

The K27 compressor inlet and oil pipes are the same size and location.
The K27 compressor outlet pipe also comes up through the sheetmetal in the same location.
You will need to make up a new pipe between the K27 and the Kokeln IC anyway so be prepared to stuff around with various clamps, reducers and silicon hoses to make it work.

There are different ways to tackle the mounting bracket modifications (a search will give you some ideas) but I just moved mine sideways to the right about 15mm and deleted the top LH mounting bolt.

I can't help as far as identifying the part, but I suspect it is off a later model 930.
I bought a serviceable unit off eBay for $450 so EUR1000 seems a bit high. Then again, a new one is more than that!

I hope this helps. The pictures below should give you some idea what to expect.
Bill.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)