View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's been a little while since I've seen my starter eye-to-eye, as it were, but I'm pretty sure you have it wired wrong.

OK, the red wire from the alternator AND the fat black (or red on Brian K.'s car) wire from the (+) terminal on the battery both go to the same stud on the solenoid. It should be the one toward the outside, away from the starter motor.

The yellow wire from the ignition switch (by way of the relay board) has a push-on "flag terminal" on the end that slips over a lug sticking out up near the top of the solenoid.

The other stud on the end of the solenoid should not be connected to ANYTHING oustide of the starter. (It transfers the power from the big battery wire to the actual starter motor, there will be a braided strap or some such already on it.) Just leave it alone.

Ground path is purely through the casing of the starter, through the tranny case, up the tranny ground strap to the chassis, through the battery ground strap to the battery. The tranny ground strap goes on one of the studs that holds the rear cover on the tranny, and on a stud sticking down from the trunk floor.

HTH.

--DD
Old 10-08-1999, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)