View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I'm no expert but I will share my impressions.
A 7006 was one of the many turbos that my buddy tried out a couple of years ogo when doing all of the experimenting with setups. That is a large turbo with a big hit on the top end. It did come with some Turbo S, Werks and Turbo 3.6 cars.
The HF and HFS have a lower threshold making them less of an on/off switch. They both are capable to carry 1.0 bar through redline.
All work at least as well with headers as Euro exhaust. The HF/HFS flow so much air that waste gate plumbing becomes critical to eleviate over-boost. Headers like B&B/GHL have less than optimal waste gate plumbing and many have reported overboost, some have blown engines. Better waste gate control is what Ben and I both like about the twin wastegate designs we plan to use going forward.
+1
The '85 Special Wishes Slant I have came with the factory K-27 7006. With the Euro HE's, the turbo came on around 3300-3400RPM and pulled very strong to redline with the wastegate opening at .9Bar. I have since added B&B complete header/muffler system with higher boost threshold. The engine comes on around 2800-2900RPM and pulls strong to redline with a 1.0-1.1 Bar(twin-plugged engine). Keep in mind though, the Special Wishes cars had a different cams than the standard 930's. The SW cars breathed a lot better at the top end the factory 930's. The K-27 7200's, HF/HFS's, 7006's would be killer with SC or 964 type cams, imho.
As always, set your target HP and stick to it. If your going to keep the factory 930 cams, don't go with the HF/HFS series turbos thinking they are going to give you more HP. They might improve the low end response, but you will get nothing on the top. Those 930 cams are like hooking a garden hose to a fire hydrant.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-06-2009, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)