View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Along with the pictures you all have enjoyed viewing, I received 4 news letters from Porsche Club-Great Britain. I recompiled the information and present the information below.

930 Turbo SE Register Phil Clark & Barry Smith

Build Codes
These are normally on the under bonnet sticker and in the service book
along with the chassis number, engine and transmission type and body colour
code, 9999 as a colour code indicates special colour to sample.

C16 is the first and sometimes only code recorded particularly on early cars
this indicates that the car was built to U.K specifications, i.e. right hand drive, white side lights at the front, windscreen wipers that park to the right, door mirrors positioned for R.H.D, (drivers side further forward than the passengerís side) engine type 930/66 e.t.c.

M Codes - Standard equipment
These follow on after C16 as three numbered codes indicating the equipment that
the factory built onto the cars as a mater of corse

Recoil bumpers 058
Heated passenger seat 139
Heated and adjustable passenger door mirror 261
Heated drivers seat 340
Electric sun roof 650
Limited slip differential 40% 220
Blaupunkt Toronto stereo and CD player 330

M Codes Ė Optional equipment
Usually specified by the customer again taking the form of a three
numbered reference.

Sports seat left with electric hight adjustment 383
Sports seat right with electric hight adjustment 387

Z Codes/ Z antrag in Porsche speak
As fare as we know these codes indicate modifications to the specification of the
standard cars equipment and act as a jobs list at the factory.

An example is Z 04107 this indicates the fitment of Dunlop tyres of 205/55 VR 16 to the front and 225/50 VR 16 to the rear (due to power increase of the engine)
others deal with trim in a specific colour, full leather interior, wheels painted
in body colour etc.

This completes the coded information on the labels, but has anyone noticed that there is no reference that the car is in fact an SE (all the info in this article is taken from Phil Clarkís 1986 car) for all the entire list tells we could be looking at any ordinary 930, (donít mean to suggest that any 930 is ordinary in any way). Donít worry if your car dose not match remember that no two are exactly the same indeed we are aware of one car that has in excess of four hundred standard and special wish options.

The only time any reference to an SE is maid on these labels is when M code 506 appears, this is the designation the factory gave the slant nose in 1987 model year when it became a limited production model some of these cars had all the body and engine mods of the SE but with a standard Turbo interior,
Special wishes built cars usually did not carry any such code no mater what model year. (Confused! you will be)

If anyone has got any substantiated Z code information we would be happy to receive it as definite info is proving difficult to pin down. More next month on Special Wishes Options for the SE.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)