View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Paul,
To be fair, corrosion effects can occur with any fuel. Sometimes I wonder how much fuel there is in my water after filling up at questionable gas stations. Here is what I found out:
While a 10% ethanol-gas blend can dissolve up to 40 times more water than straight gasoline, Trevor Guthmiller of the American Coalition for Ethanol states that it is highly unlikely that gasoline will come into contact with enough water to result in such high concentrations. This amount of water in your gas tank can stop your car dead, whether or not the gasoline is blended with ethanol. Because ethanol-blended gasoline can dissolve water, it greatly reduces the chance of fuel-line freeze-up or water accumulation in your gas tank (e.g. due to condensation). Any water is diluted throughout the fuel and passes through the fuel line and combustion system with little or no compromise in performance.

Many people confuse ethanol with methanol. Methanol will corrode some metals. I can find no hard evidence of ethanol corroding any metal. It might break loose the "already" corroded particles in the tank, but that is just an acceleration of the inevitable. As far as rubber is concerned, the data I have seen refers to the varnish applied to rubber parts to prevent hardening and ozone contamination. The ethanol dissolves the varnish, not the rubber. In your engine this is actually a good thing.

Also, some of us do not have a choice what we put in our cars. All the gas available in our area is mandated to contain 10% ethanol.

Mark
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)