View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Goran, what all did you change in your car?
Car is SAAB 900S -90.

I switched to 40% bigger injectors, changed fuel filter every 6 months, raised boost from 0.4 bar to 1.1 bar, installed intercooler, installed hotter cams with more lift and got them timed and advanced ignition until I reached max BMEP (engine isn't knock-limited on E85).

Never had issues with rubber, fuel pump or fueling except severe cold start problems when running E85. Base map (LUCAS CU14 was unchanged). I blew the head gasket once after monkeying too much with ignition advance and boost.

I did had my plastic tank level sender break off three (!) times and fall into tank when using slicks on track. It's now replaced with metal one. I don't know if E85 or slicks did this.

I bought the car for 300$ and poured around 1500$ extra worth of go fast goodies. And yeah...I lapped Boxter S twice on the track (he wasn't using slicks though). I was getting "thumbs up" from guys who were watching

My other "daily driver" Audi S4 is also running on E85 since last year...no changes except more boost and bigger injectors. No problems except low MPG (radius is roughly 350 miles with 80L tank).

We have quite vibrant E85-conversion community over here and I tried to follow up other peoples expiriences with E85. So far, it's mostly fuel filters that get clogged due to varnish. Cars equipped with Zenith CD175's carbs also might have problems. Other than that, it works remarkably well. That is with 85% ethanol.

10% is unlikely to attack the fuel system in same fashion.

Last edited by beepbeep; 01-10-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)