View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I do have to dissagree about the cams. SC cams alone can produce more off-boost torque in a 930 3.3L than in the 3.0L N/A SC engine they came out of. This is the first thing I noticed on my engine, and the dyno told the tale. Cam and ignition timing are HUGE contributors to improved off-boost performance. It's not just the cams but the proper tuning of the system. Just tossing cams in with the same stock settings is not optimal.
+1 Listen to Rarly.

From my own experience, losing 3 degrees of ignition advance on a 930 makes it suck, badly, off-boost.

SC cams make a HUGE difference to off-boost driving, and cam timing makes a HUGE difference to SC cams. I used to have mine timed retarded to "build boost". Wrong...

If you're worried about increasing turbo lag, then use a modern turbo, which not only spool faster but make more power up top - my dyno sheets said the 3DLZ was out of puff @ 5100, but after changing headers, turbo, I/C, airbox, the K27 keeps going to 5700 (and makes another 90+HP to boot).

K27/HF with GHL headers also made .5 bar @ 2400 RPM under load for me. Which is pretty useful.

So it drives like a overbored SC off-boost and doesn't exactly take long to get it on.

Factory would have built them like that eventually IMO, if they had kept developing them...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)