View Single Post
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Next Stages

So on to the rest of the story. I needed to grind down the leading edge from over 1/4" + the metal deck down to meet the trailing edge of the body. This was a lot of grinding with my palm sander. I angled it so the leading edge was thin and the other side was a little thicker to maintain the structural integrity. I am not worried about it as the whole thing is panel bonded to the metal. The leading edge is about 1/8" thick total (metal + FG lid) so it is nice and thin. Here you can kinda see that the final results are a top edge that meets the body very well.

Back end was sanded down on an arc at the edges and blends in nicely, however it is not totally flat at the body line. If you use your hand you can tell that the lid is thicker and arches up from the body line. I do not think I can achieve a perfect line with out breaking through the FG and blowing the whole project. I am very happy with it as it stands here so I'll stop the gross shaping and start filling holes and low spots.

I used a syringe to push panel bond up in the hole I had created when I sanded down a cut out on the driver side. The stuff is pretty liquid so I put a piece of blue painter's tape over the hole to keep all the panel bond in the hole while it dried. The tap will sand right off and it also let me shape the final outcome so I do not have to do a lot of work to finish this area.

Finally, I'll have to:
  • Use lite filler on the leading edge to make it nice and straight with the body line.
  • Use lite filler to flatten out the sides in front of the wing.
  • Use lite filler on the back to flatten that area out.
  • Use epoxy filler to blend the internal joint where the grill seats and then follow it up with the lite filler.
  • finish wet sand the whole thing
  • Prime it
  • Paint it some color ... TBD

Lots of fun left, but I am so pleased with how this is turning out. After I am done, I'll weigh it and then we can compare to an all fG wing. I am sure mine will be heavier, but I do not think it will be significant... I hope.

Best regards,

Michael
Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)