Thread: Wtb 1976 930
View Single Post
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
I'm sort of confused. Mate of mine had the hots for the 76-77 3.0 930's as well, and whilst I agree they look nice/are more rare, the chocolate brakes, less power and lack of intercooler are hardly items in the "pro" column for me.

But if you're going to fit a big bore kit, intercooler and late brakes, it's hardly "unmolested" then, is it? And all that does is get it to the base spec of a '78 and up 930?

So why wouldn't you start with one of those?
Getting one that is "unmolested" means that some joker hasn't gone in and done something to ruin the car. It also means that you have all the parts to put it back to bone stock if you ever want to.

As I said above, I love the whale tail look rather than the tea tray look. But I drive my cars rather spirited (occasional DE and autocross as well) and my car generates A LOT of heat in the back (another upgrade to consider is the fender oil cooler). I know that I will be cracking open the case some day (hopefully not too soon). So, while I'm in there, why not do a few bolt on goodies to get more out of her? Well then I start thinking, if I make her go faster, I gotta make her stop faster... get the picture???

Anyway, I keep all my original parts, even the broken ones, I hang around too many collectors and know the value of having all the original parts when selling (even if they are not all installed on the car). I hope I never have to sell my car, but it's good piece of mind for me.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)