View Single Post

930 Low Boost condition...Now with PICS!!

Hey all. Just made my first foray into the 911 world with a Euro '85 930. It's been my dream car since I was a kid and I LOVE it.

The car is a 35,000 mile original, unmolested example and needs only a few minor interior wear items to be totally perfect. I bought it from the original owner and it included all the paperwork from the original German purchase documents, to the import papers to every service record. It's been babied its whole life.

I've had it a few days and noticed that it seems to lack the "OOOMPHHH" of my dad's '87 US 930, despite having the Euro engine with more power (it has all the original Euro parts, I don't have to worry about emissions where I live). I've noticed that the boost gauge stops around .6 Bar on the gauge no matter the RPM, and it seems to run out of "poop" around 5500-6000 RPM, whereas my dad's car will show .8 Bar (as it should), and pulls strong all the way to redline.

Both cars are stock and unmolested, so where to start chasing it? Tired wastegate spring opening too early? Something else? Are the tacho-mounted gauges really THAT accurate? Even if not, my "butt dyno" is saying something is up.

I am a "stock purist" and all I want is the machine as delivered in 1985 with 300hp, so mods and such are out. Not that I have anything against hot-rodders, it's just not for me.

I just got back from Iraq and I purchased the car while over there. It passed the PPI with flying colors and recently had a lot of documented work put in it before it was sold, (it sat as a "collector's piece" for 6-8 years) I just don't think it was driven hard on the inspection.

Thanks for all replies. I am glad to be a part of the "Turbo Community" and finally make my dream come true. I've heard the Turbos are "cultish" and not everyone loves 'em, but I'll have nothing else. Truth be told, I've never even driven a normally-aspirated 911! And not to open a can of worms, after my research on the 930s, I prefer the Euro cars to the US models!

Last edited by GroovieGhoulie; 01-16-2009 at 06:40 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)