View Single Post
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM744 View Post
If your WG was leaking you'd be overboosting.
Not always...

When I bought my car, I was getting too much boost. WG was suspect. When I tested, I found it was leaking at the valve, but also would not open at .8 or 1 bar. I opened it up and found two springs in there. Reassembled it with only 1 spring and then it leaked so badly at the valve stem that the boost built slowly and never achieved even .08 bar. You could hear the air pressure bleeding out.

Fresh TIAL fixed me up right.

If you're WG is toast, and you want to retain "stock purity," be prepared to pay big $$. Last time I checked, the OEM WG was $1200 from our host. Its possible to refurb the original ones, but I believe that replacement parts like valves, seats, and valve guides are not available from Porsche. I looked into having a machine shop fab up pieces to refurb my factory WG and concluded that getting a TIAL was the cost effective approach. I've also heard that by combining the usable bits from several toasted factory WGs, you can come up with one good one. Should you need it, I bet you could get a pile of junked factory WGs from those of us on the forum.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)