View Single Post
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
Also a quick question. I would assume that powder coating the cooling fins of the cylinders wouldn't be a good idea because it would limit the heat transfer from the metal to the air. Is this not the case or does the coating you went with offer better thermal properties than bare metal? Just curious.

Willtel, I am guessing you mean the metal fins that attach to the cylinders instead of the actual fins on the cylinders themselves. If so, the metal pieces that attach themselves to the cylinders are there to divert the air more around the cylinders and to prevent hot spots. They are not there to transfer heat. I powdercoated mine as well, and the original paint that was on the parts from the factory ( which I had to glass bead off), was actually quite thick.

I do know that on Harleys they powdercoat the fins on the jugs, but they also usually polish the ends of the fins as well. I would guess that it would retain a little more heat then if they were bare metal, However, I would think that it is more of a surface area issue, then a bare metal VS a coated metal issue...

Bry, Its looking good.... you should fire your powdercoater though... he does a crappy job!!!!! HAHAHA
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)