View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
To be safe why not replace all the o-rings in the intercooler plumbing and then check all the hoses including wastegate hose to the intake system. Age deteriorates the rubber in the o-rings and hoses rot. Then you have the benfit of knowing they are new and not suspect.
Then remove the wastegate from its perch and give it a once over. You can inspect the valve surface to see how it seals and even supply some air pressure to the wastegate port and measure boost level to open it. At 0.6 bar you are looking at about 8-9psi pressure since 1.0 bar is about 14.5psi. This way you can check the opening setting on the wastgate.
Then junk that tach boost gage and get a real VDO gage for the clock location. Way more accurate and stock appearing.
Stick to your guns and enjoy the car the way you want. Nothing wrong with a stock 930 supercar....that is what it was and still is. I miss the turbo lag in mine sometimes now that I modded it with a k27s and headers.
You may want to add a bigger intercooler to aid engine longevity though and look into mounting a real oil cooler on the car....chances are you have a loop cooler in the fender?
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)