View Single Post

How to Install Boxster Seats in an 74 911 (using original sliders)

There has been some discussion about installing Boxster/996 seats in an earlier car. The issue is that the seat sits higher if you use the Boxster/996 sliders.

I just installed seats from a 2000 Boxster in my 74 911 and I used the original 74 sliders, so they are at the same height. I got a really great deal on the black leather Boxster seats, so it was worth taking the time to figure out how to mount them.

The Boxster seats had manual height adjustment (pneumatic cylinder) and electric seat back adjustment. Yes, with the Boxster sliders the seats sat 1.5 inchs higher stock. It was noticeable and felt too high.

Here is how I did the install:

After removing the original seats, I ran a power wire from under the dash with an inline fuse. I ran a ground wire to one of the seat mount bolt.

Now for the seats.

Remove the Boxster sliders.

Remove the pneumatic height cylinder.

There will be the 4 pads that the sliders were bolted to. The front pads will have a lip that needs to be cut off. I used a high speed cut off wheel.

I took the sliders off the original 74 seats. The pads on the Boxster seats will have holes in them. I use the front holes on the original sliders and lined them up with the very front holes on the front pads on the Boxster seats. I used new allen bolts and lock nuts to mount the sliders onto the pads. You will have to drill new holes in the slider to line up with the hole on the pad.

With the original sliders installed the seats will line up with the original holes. The front bolts were easy to get to, the back ones were tight on room. I used allen bolts in the baqck and had to cut the allen wrench down to make it fit.

Here is a pictures of the seat installed.

Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)