View Single Post
resident samsquamch

That's Jim2's car...I think. Pretty impressive DIY story!!!! Very impressive car!

His build:
930 EFI Conversion in process

About the gauge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Jeff, it's a twin engine aircraft gausge. It was discussed a couple pages back. In the video it's hooked up above and below the butterfly. It works good for measuing pressure loss across the I/C and throttle body. Gauge limit is too low for reading fuel press.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Hi guys, the gauge belongs to a friend, though it's on long term loan and now resides in my clock opening. Same diameter as the clock!

I was told it's a WWII bomber gauge. This one is a twin indicator as Cliff noted, for a two engine plane.

Apparently the WWII bombers ran some pretty high boost numbers. Gauges went up to about 90".

Source? I have no idea, but I did find some on ebay which needed rebuilding. Also was told there are some aviation instrumentation shops which carry antique gauges. Perhaps a web search and some phone calls will put you onto a supplier.

I like the absolute format for accurate actual boost indication. In this case having twin indicators has allowed me to do some interesting testing regarding restriction of the throttle body, as well as the intercooler (yet to be done). You can do this with conventional gauges, but this gauge is more accurate. This one was calibrated several years ago so should it should remain accurate.

Jim
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 01-19-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)