View Single Post

Garage
Cool. I used to use Dupont products and the vendors would only sell PPG or other brands. Good to hear about Dupont products. Not good to hear about all the complexities.

I too used to be Dupont diehard. Guess it is like when a new model (901 over the 356 996 over the 911) comes out old model seems preferred.

You did awesome job with the red. Silver is the most (add in there light blue or greens if you will) tricky laying down the metallics the way YOU want them to lay. The color on a silver is at best difficult to match perfect. If you lay it wet on the top coats it lays flatter and a lighter hue results. To me that is the preferred hue. If you lay it down with a little more dry application it will as you know be darker.

Let me say, if I wanted it to look like new, like it has not been partly sprayed (read, "wrecked"), I would find a base coat clear coat product costing about 400-500 in materials. spray the whole car and clear the whole car. This would provide better than new gloss and perfect match with minimal buffing.

Your Dupont salesman has guys (ok collosion guys) who spray inside of downdraft heated booths. If you are using one of those booths you can get the light you want to get the 3 stage stuff to lay the way you want. With your level of attention and experience, if you are unable to use one of those booths you may still have an awesome result.

So you are not convinced you still want to do a blend with what ever product you know you can accomplish your color match. Let me say then that the light you work in will be your most important variable to control. Partial repair guys will chime in. The preparation of the adjacent panels is as important. Perfect buff on the finish not being resprayed. Blend with rubbing compound. Spray new paint onto adjacent panels to accomplish best match. Area to clear includes adjacent panels. The result can be good. Whatever your challenge is with a project, once you complete it, many obstacles originally thought were in your way are infact non issues.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)