View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Installing a bigger intercooler is a great idea. Anything you can do to take thermal stress off the engine is an improvement. First thing I did was to install a larger B&B intercooler on my 1979 930 and then a Carrera oil cooler in place of the trombone in the passenger fender.
Also, this allows later improvements like more boost and k27 turbo which will need the safety of the larger intercooler. You can always go back to stock too as it uses stock intercooler up pipe and o-rings.
The B&B is another option to the Kolken and it fit well except for some machining on the attachement boss to the fan housing bracket which was way off center. You will need to make sure you get the intercooler shrouding to the tail done properly to seal the intercooler to the tail so all the air gets pulled thru the cooler and not arround the edges of it.
Seeing that you live in Oakland county in Michigan, you will likely see hp dropping off while hammering on the I-696 "autobahn" with the stock intercooler. With the bigger B&B cooler I can run flat out all day on that road. Though I did not recommend speeding in writing.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 01-20-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)