View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Yes. Because you're changing to a different camshaft grind and/or manufacturer, you will need a tool to measure the offset of the cam sprockets. There is one tool for this that makes it a lot easier and it's from Stomski. It's expensive....surprised?! You can do it with a machined straight edge, but it's annoying for the first timer.

The other tools you might consider are;
spark plug adapter to pressurize the cylinder so you can remove valve springs with a valve spring compressor tool. I'm assuming you are changing springs, retainers and locks for the new cam, yes?

Valve timing you'll need a dial indicator and a Z-block which allows the dial indicator to mount on cam tower with little hassle. Personally, I like to use two dial indicators/z-blocks (one on each bank) for repeatability and sanity.

You'll need a device on each side to keep tension on the cam chains while the cams are being timed. I like the old mechanical adjusters for this, again, expensive. Some use big c-clamp vise grips on the oil-fed tensioners. Others have fab'd their own mechanical adjusters for timing the chains. Once you get the cam covers off, you'll see what has to be done and what route to take.

Other things I can thing of are;
Soft aluminum rod so you can softly tap out the rocker arm shafts from their bores without scoring the cam tower surfaces.
Allen socket and extension to allow you facilitate the removal of rocker arm allen bolts and caps.

Enjoy.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)