View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
I have completed the turbo conversion and can speak from experience unlike your speculation above. I can tell you that many turbos blow oil through the intake, not good for an AFM, I can tell you the AFM's threads will thread very easily as it's made of crappy cast alloy so getting a good strong seal to it is a PITA unless you helicoil it which I ended up doing (no biggie).

Unless you modify the exit with a retaining flange there's a good chance you will blow off the elbow to the throttle body. This has happened to me and friends cars many times. All these issues would not be a factor with suck through, that is why I am saying it would likely be a better set up and it's not new I've seen it on a few cars with good results.

The only reason I'm not converting to suck through as I did contemplate it, is I'm converting to MAP in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I get a chance to install the sensor. I'll also be able to tell you all how soon the flapper maxes out which I'm predicting would be very early in the rev range like 2500rpm but it's speculation. You could test this by connecting a volt meter to the AFM signal and see where and when it hits 5.0V.

Not correct, it measures flow not pressure/volume.

Spence, I was making a reference to the volume of the connecting hose.

Oh ok, that's why Porsche used it in the 951 and hmmm wonder if they chose blow through or suck through, do some research....

Spence, Though I spend a tremendous amount of time researching and sifting through information I had not yet come across this, thanks, I will check it out.

And your findings here are based on?
Spence, from forums, online research, Performance Handbook by Bruce Anderson.

Sick of the bench racers!!!

Spence, Thank You for your input. You raised good points on the Pros and Cons of both layouts.

Knowledge and Real World Experience is what we are after, and very helpful to those of us doing this conversion.

This forum is a great place to ask questions, share knowledge, learn from each others personal experience and present new ideas when it is done in a constructive manner.
Please my questions and comments are intended in this spirit.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)