View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Setrab-172 is the biggest oil cooler that will fit in the normal array of lower valences with provision for central mount coolers.
The trombone is useless in the turbo.....at least get a Carrera cooler with fan for most city driving and traffic duty.
For track work you will need this and a front mount cooler.
Currently I run 6-10 DE days per summer and after 10-12 minutes or so the oil in my 79 930 with the above mentioned Carrera cooler was approaching 240 degrees. My car is putting out about 360h.p. with the mods I have got, and this is directly related to heat that goes into the oil that is basically cooling your engine.....along with the air from the fan. Did I like the fact that now I gotta install another front mount cooler and replace my stock lower spoiler....NO!
But you do what you gotta do to get the oil temps down to under 210-220 degrees.
----why not install the biggest oil cooler you can then? Elephant racing has nice pictures of an install and sells a good kit....sorry about advertising for a competitor to Pelican, but trying to give you some helpful info on these forum.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)