View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
+1 on the 3.2 engine
you will also need sodium filled exhaust valves, some larger piston squirters would be nice, and cams of your choice.

To tell you the truth- I wouldn't use either motors- I would go with a non turbo 3.6 with sodium filled exhaust valves, pauter rods, stock 993 turbo pistons/cyls, and have it ready for 600+ or a verrry easy 500. I say this because it is already twin plugged, has 964 oil pump, nasty heads, nasty plenum, fuel injection, twin plug distributer...etc. This is the way I would have gone if I could do it over again without a question. Did I also mention that it would be a 3.6 liter?....
Hi Kris,

Re: 3.2 exhaust valves are already sodium filled, or at least mine are. According to Wayne's Rebuild book, There is a little divit in the middle of the face from where they fill the valve with sodium during manufacturing.

Re: the bigger piston squirters.
On my own build I'm going with a Ceramic Thermal Barrier coating on the piston crown to reduce heat loading the stock Motronic pistons and have abraded the undersides, to increase the surface cooling area exposed to the piston squirters. Me thinks that this should be enough insurance for my target (350 to 400 HP window) build.
Beyond that window it gets expensive and is beyond my budget.

Check this calculator out and look at the fuel octane needed!
http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFcompB.html

if check out his site there are a few other java calculators that are handy.

My favorite so far is this one: http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml
Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)