View Single Post
120 HP/Liter is all I ask

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
That depends, here are the #s I posted back in #4. They are only good at stock ride height w/ stock suspension settings and stock wheels. Your results will likely be different.

As Ilko mentioned the rear fenders are much wider on a 993, makes lots of room for wheels, tires and mufflers but not so good for aero. I'll add that the front fenders are also wider, again great for fitting big wheels and tires not so good for aero.

JMO, aero isn't all that important in and of itself, I prefer a balance of aero and pleasing looks. A 996 aero wise has it all over 964 and 993 but is just too plain for my tastes.
Cool data, here are some things I think are interesting:

In pounds then the 993 RS has 40 pounds of lift at the front 0 at the rear.

The 993 RS Clubsport has 0 pounds lift at the front increasing to 40 pounds of lift at the front when the rear wing angle is increased to nine degrees.

The 993 RS Clubsport has rear downforce increase from 26 pounds at zero rear wing angle to 160 pounds at nine degrees angle

So, the RS Clubsport front lift goes up as rear downforce goes up.

Frere in his book states the 993 has a higher rear lift number than the 964 because "the exhaust system makes it impossible to raise the (engine) underpan at the car's rear end" (as the 964 does).

So, an interesting data point would be that of a 964 Carrera Cup car which would be a 964 without the engine underpan which would presumably add to lift at the rear as Frere states.

Data for the RS America whould be interesting since this adds the bigger wing to the 964, perhaps generating downforce at both ends, not just the front.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)