View Single Post

With everything properly and complete shrouded, the engine fan WILL pull more than an adequate volume of air to cool the IC. However, as others have stated the task of doing so isn't as easy as it seems. Boot seals, engine tin, harness and oil line boots, and rubber lip seals all need to be in perfect order with virtually zero leaks. On a car as old as most of ours, a majority of these things have shown their age, or are non existent all together. I can't tell you how many 930/965's I've worked on that are missing the engine bay block off tin all together. Those cars are surely drawing a majority of the cooling air from under the car!

There isn't a downfall in my opinion for using a SPAL or FAL type puller fan on these cars to draw air into the bay. If you have adequate space it's very worthwhile and the cost isn't that bad. I'd suggest that if done, proper steps are taken to create a good shroud for the fan to allow airflow to be pulled across the entire face of the core. A flat sheet covering the core with a cutout for the fan is not a proper shroud. Obviously setup and space constraints are going to be a per car basis, but if you can get one in there it's worth the cost and time in doing so.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)