View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I built a shroud for my intercooler as I knew air was going around it instead of through it.
HUGE difference. At idle I can put my hand on the intercooler and feel the air pulling it down. I left a slot near the air filter which the fan also pulls air in right past the filter. The filter now gets more dirty in that spot where before it got dirty from behind as air swirled around the engine bay.
My vote is to seal up the engine compartment and intercooler first and see how it does for you. It has worked very well in my application. Turbo lag has been noticably reduced and power increased. Dyno runs suffer however as the lid is open.
I tend to agree. Let's not forget this is all about physics and the path of least resistance. A small opening has much more resistance than a large one; thus, most of the air coming in to the engine bay will be drawn from the top and through the intercooler before being blasted downward across the cylinders and heads. Not to belittle the smaller leaks, but they are...after all...small peanuts in the scope of things. Seal the intercooler to the lid as best as possible, and you'll have a virtual vacuum cleaner suction pulling though it. My two pennies.....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)