View Single Post
Learned by do'n twice

Long post with a question at the end

Things only get worse. Sanded out the crazed area of the bumper cover and the air hose swipe on the DS fender and spot primed both with a couple coats of 2K primer. Wet sanded all 4 pieces (again) Tuesday. Yesterday, I started shooting the base coat and the bumper cover crazed in several large areas (not where it crazed the first time) and the DS fender crazed in 2 small areas.

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS BS!

The only thing I can think of is I did not clean off the pieces well enough before starting. I wiped them down with acetone and use a liquid dish detergent when wet sanding. But...the PS side fender came out absolutely perfect, as did the hood (but the hood was a new unit in factory primer when I started).

To begin to fix this latest SNAFU, I chemically stripped the DS fender late yesterday and shot it with 2 coats of epoxy primer this morning. Plus, I ordered a new bumper cover since I don't think I can actually strip the cover well enough with all the nooks and crannies it has.

Looks like I'll spot glaze and wet sand the DS fender, wet sand the new bumper cover when it comes in, and shoot both with 2K primer and then wet sand all 4 pieces AGAIN before applying base coat, mid coat, and clear.

Since the PS fender and hood are perfect, does anyone know if I can simply wet sand them and then start with the mid coat or do I have to give them another coat of the base before moving to the mid coat?

Thanks for the help.

jmd_forest
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)