View Single Post

I bought a running S2 motor, bellhousing, engine harness (supposed to be w/ DME but I am waiting on it), shipped for $2800. This was a a really good deal. With the engine out, plan on about $300 or so for rod bearings, cam chain, cam pads, belts, gaskets, and etc. So, engine alone could w/ no mods or repairs you're looking at around $3500 +/-.

You will also want to upgrade the trans to an S2 (shorter R&P) or turbo (taller R&P). I would estimate that to be around $1k +/-. Not exactly sure here since I haven't had to buy one.

The suspension will consist of rear brake calipers, front spindles & calipers (or just calipers but I'm not sure. I think aftermarket will bolt right up). The springs and torsion bars are different too. All said and done w/ hardware, plumbing, new brake pads, and etc will put you around $1k +/- again.

This estimate does not include labor, tools, time, etc, etc, etc.

You will be able offset the cost of the conversion, but you won't come close to the <$1k goal. The only way I can think of for you to convert for little or no money is to buy a wrecked S2, trubo, 968, or etc and sell the parts you don't need. A donor car will offset the cost significantly, especially since little parts can nickle and dime you to death.

If you do decide to do the power plant swap (3 liter, turbo, SBC), I would be interested in your 88 engine. For now my advise would be to find a donor car. Or sell your 88 and buy what you want. There are pros and cons to both proposals.

Good Luck
email: sales(at)co-opracing.com
Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)