View Single Post

Garage
First Step- Vehicle placement:To start your detail job, you want to make sure your car is not in direct sunlight and that the surfaces on the outside arenít hot. If shade cannot be found, you can wait until late evening so the sun isnít at its full intensity.

Step 2- Vehicle surface evaluation One of the most important aspects of a successful detail job is the evaluation of the vehicle surface.This evaluation will allow us to prepare ourselves with the correct products and steps, things like light scratches, swirl marks and other paint imperfections can be evaluated at this time, from here we will have a plan of what products are needed and in what order. You want to prep your washing materials first so you won't be running back to get items from storage while water is on the paint or wheels. You can use a pressure washer usually with no problems, just use caution when doing so.

You donít want to get to close to any surface of the car with high pressure water, especially to pin strips or emblems, failure to do so can result in inevitable damage.

Step 3- Rinsing Vehicle- Pre Wash I start off by rinsing all the loose debris from the top of the car working downwards. You want to make sure to get all of the loose grime off of the surface so you donít have to use your wash mitt. What I like to do at this point is just hit all the surfaces including, wheels and tires.

I found out with this process we can avoid causing swirl marks, at least to a certain point. Very often as you wash you may be dragging loose grime which will scratch the vehicle's surface, these steps are by no means a solution, but rather a ďpreventative action.

Step 4- Washing- Tires and Wheels Washing removes all loose contaminates from the exterior surfaces of the car and leaves a clean and prepped surface ready for other steps in the detail. You will always want to wash the tires and wheels first, so water doesnít sit on your clean paint and get baked in by the sun. For the tires, wheels and wheel wells you will only need a few things. You will need a separate set of wash materials so your paint does not get contaminated by the metal particles and dirt on your tires and wheels.

Do not use the same wash water or tools on the paint as you did your wheels. I like to have just a simple soft bristled brush. Thereís a big misconception that all wheel cleaners will stain you wheels, all do in part, this is true, the majority of wheel cleaners will indeed stain and damage your wheels, The formula must work well on plastic wheel coverings as well.the product must be PH balanced and will not stain clear coats! Starting with your tires and wheels first, donít wet the paint. Prepare your wash materials and get started doing the wheels, tires and wheel wells one by one.

Donít do all of them at once, you donít want any of these cleaners to dry. I like to start out by rinsing the heavy debris from the tire and wheel well area. Most of the time mud and loose dirt accumulate in these areas, and you donít want to be scrubbing that dirt all over your wheels. I start out by spraying down all areas. By the time Iíve sprayed everything, itís had enough time to sit and start working.

I use the detail brush first to get to the backside of my wheels and get all that brake dust out of there. Nothing looks worse than a clean wheel where you can see a dirty backside. After that step is done, I take my soft bristled brush and work on the face of the wheel. Light agitation is all that is needed.

Last I work on the wheel wells with my long handled brush making sure to hit every part in the wheel well. Wheel wells are a really important step to a complete detail, and you have to make sure they are spotless. While you are washing, make sure when you dip your wash tools in the bucket, to dip them in the rinse bucket first to remove all the dirt, and then dip it in the soap bucket so you are getting clean soap. When you are done with each wheel, rinse the wheel and make sure the entire cleaner is off the wheel. Repeat for the other wheels. Make sure to get any undercarriage areas that are visible.

Step 5 Washing- Vehicle painted surfaces After the tires and wheels have been done and before wetting the paint, you will want to prepare your wash bucket and tools for the paint in this step you will use a Car Shampoo that is highly lubricated formula with unique foaming quality and quick rinse characteristics. Your goal is to SAFELY lift dirt and grime while helping to prevent swirls from washing. The Car Shampoo safely removes dirt and grime without removing waxes or sealants. The shampoo is specially formulated to be absolutely harmless and safe for your car surface.

The use of the wrong shampoo that doesnít remove the grime and dirt combine with a low quality sponge/applicator will eventually leave Swirl Marks in your paint surface something that all of us try to avoid.The Car Shampoo must be PH 7 Balance, something that you donít find on those purple gallon jugís at you local store for $2.99 - one of the most common mistakes that customers make is to invest in a good quality wax only to use an inexpensive /low quality car shampoo. Using the wrong type of car shampoo will remove the wax that you had previously applied to protect your investment. Good Car Shampooís will remove dirt and grime without scratching and will NOT strip the wax like other brands do.

We used a 5 gallon clean bucket of water mixed with a Ĺ of a lid of car shampoo. During the washing process we have incorporated one of the most revolutionary products in the market today, the Oxidation block. The oxidation block is a product intended to be used to quickly and safely to remove bonded contaminants, droppings and insect grime from automotive finishes.

For automotive paint finishes, this product has the same function and environmentally safety as clay-based stain removers. (Clay bars) benefits are endless but we will skip that information right now. With a new high quality washing mitt on the bucket with the car shampoo we will work on sections, we wash the surface and immediately rinsed right after we then dip the oxidation block on the bucket which has the soapy solution, after that we proceed to pass the block with a horizontally motion to all the painted surfaces one section at the time.Do it section by section so the soap doesnít dry. If it does dry, just re-soap the area and rinse again. I do the rear of the car and the front bumpers last, as these have the most grime. You want to wash in long sweeping strokes,donít wash in circles.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)