View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
Don,

How do you do this without affecting ride height? If the coil springs are always carrying some of load (street and track), then how does it get stiffer when you dial in more coil spring? Or do you back it off on the street so that no load is carried by the coils?

I have 31 mm rear T-bars and have just installed 250 lb helpers from Rebel racing. I have yet to figure out how much "preload" to give the coils. If I give it any preload at all, it will raise the ride height and affect corner balance which I don't want to do. So I'm planning to re-index the T-bars and lower the car about 1/2 inch or so, and then bring it back up to target height with the coils. Doing this will allow me to corner balance and make very small ride height adjustments easily with the coils. But I don't see how I can voluntarily change the stiffness at the rear for street and track unless I completely disengage the coils from having any contact with the perches, which doesn't sound like a good thing to do.

Rob
Hi Rob - how have you been???? How's the car??

It's actually very easy to set the stiffness. First, roll the car a couple of feet to settle the ride hight. Then, reach up under the car and twist the collars so that the spring is just coming in contact with the spring and top hat. Lock the collar. This gives me the best road ride and very little squat on heavy accel. To adjust for the track, I twist the collar till it comes in contact with the spring and top hat, then add another 3 - 5 turns to preload the spring. This ends up being fairly stiff for the track for me. I once turned it up to about 10 turns and it was too stiff - the rears would break loose too easily. Kinda cool in front of newbie owners, but too expensive and no traction. I also set sway bars to their stiffest and the car handles like its on rails. Sorry it's not more scientific.

Last edited by DonE; 02-16-2009 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)